How to Register a Barcode in South Africa
It is important for customers to know that SA Barcodes is a registered barcode reseller, and therefore when purchasing from us, we do not register your barcodes on the live GS1 database. Customers simply purchase them from us and we take the barcode number out of circulation and register them under your details on our closed database. You will need provide us with the details that your barcodes will be linked to, either company or personal details. This is how we can sell our unique, GS1-registered barcodes to our customers at a once-off price.
Keep in mind that SA Barcode guarantees that any barcodes purchased from us are completely unique to the owner and will remain your property for life. To ensure absolutely no duplication of barcodes, we do not allow returns or refunds. Once a barcode is purchased by a customer, it is theirs for life and a certificate of registration is issued to them if proof of ownership is ever requested by a retailer. Once your barcode is purchased from SA Barcodes and has been printed on your products, you are ready to take them to retail.
The retail store will register your barcode number onto its system and link it together with your specific product information that you have chosen to go with each barcode as well as your product pricing, making it easy to convey prices to the cashier system when your product is scanned at the point of sale (as well as the help the retailer manage and track inventory).
It is important to note that bigger barcode retailers in South Africa such as Pick ‘n Pay have recently adopted a new system in which the barcodes of SA Barcodes may not be compatible. Please make sure beforehand that your barcodes will be accepted by your intended retailers. If our barcodes cannot be accepted, you will need to register for barcodes directly from GS1 South Africa. This is the more expensive option as you are required to become a member and pay a member fee to join as well as an annual renewal fee is required to be paid to keep your barcodes active and forms will need to be filled out and submitted.
With SA Barcodes, however, we offer a once-off price, efficient, quick service with no forms, and the barcodes are yours for life.
Our barcodes can be used on any products that are going to be sold in retail stores, such as CDs, food items, clothing, DVDs and beverages. There is not a specific type of barcode for each different category of goods in a retail store. Some of our clients have advised us that they feel overwhelmed when trying to research how to get a barcode in South Africa, but with us it is a simple and quick process. Once you have decided to proceed with your purchase of your barcodes from SA Barcodes, you will generally need to follow the barcode registration and purchase procedure as outlined below.
- Calculate the amount of barcodes that you require.
- • You will need a different barcode for each different product and product variation that you have.
- • For example, a 500ml water and 750ml water bottle will require two different barcode numbers.
- On our purchase page, select the amount of barcodes you would like to purchase by clicking on the corresponding Buy Now button.
- • If the amount of barcodes you require is not listed you can email us or call us for a quote.
- • The more barcodes you purchase the cheaper it becomes per barcode number so it may be a good idea to buy your barcodes in bulk so that you pay less per barcode and have enough to last you for a while – in case you decide launch any new products down the line.
- Once you have completed payment, you will need to provide like us with the info required to register your barcodes for you.
- • Send us an email, or make use of our Contact Us page to send us the details.
- • We will then use this information to register your barcode and we will send your barcode pack to you via email within 24 hours, usually much quicker (~1hr).
- Once you receive your barcode pack, your barcodes are ready to use!
- • Your barcodes will already registered and your images in your barcode pack are ready to be placed on your products.
- • The images can simply be copied and pasted and added to your product label.
And that is how you register a barcode in South Africa with SA Barcodes! We try our best to keep it simple and quick, with no paper work and long applications as we know our customers are very busy launching their products. We guarantee excellent customer service and will gladly answer any other questions you have about the process.