Frequently Asked Questions
How to get a barcode in South Africa
Here are some of the more frequent questions about barcodes in South Africa that we receive. If you have a question not dealt with in this section, please feel free to get in touch with us via our contact page and we will get back to you shortly.
1.What is a Barcode?
4. Will my Barcode work for any retail product?
5. Are there any stores who won’t accept my barcode?
Food Lovers Market have informed us that they have recently upgraded their system, should you wish to stock your product with them, please contact our team and we will supply you with complimentary additional codes (in accordance with their new system). Please note that this offer is only available to existing customers.
Pick n Pay have informed us that they have upgraded to a new barcoding system, but have confirmed that in most cases our codes are still valid for manual insertion when required, however please check in advance before doing your print run. In some instances, you will require a GLN: we do not supply this, and that it can only be attained through formal GS1 membership. Generally, barcodes are manually linked onto the individual point of sale systems in retail stores when new products are introduced. With the new PNP system, called Datanet, the barcode numbers run off of a global database and the only way to be compliant with the Datanet system is by leasing your barcodes through GS1 or through manual insertion where applicable.
With the above warnings in mind please note that we do have 1000’s of clients across Southern Africa successfully using our barcodes at a wide variety of stores, and we receive very few complaints relating to acceptance.
6. Will my Bar Code work outside of South Africa?
7. Why are barcodes made up of so many lines?
8. Is a barcode purchased from SA Barcodes completely unique and registered to me?
9. Will my barcode ever expire?
10. Are there any renewal Fees?
11. What is the difference between UPC-A and EAN barcodes and does SA Barcodes supply both?
12. Will my Bar Code be scannable?
13. Is there anything that I need to do after I receive the bar code from you?
14. Can I print my bar code in anything other than black and white?
15. Is there a refund/returns policy for SA Barcodes?
16. What dimensions should I use for my barcode?
17. Can I see what your barcodes look like?
18. I’m having trouble opening the barcode package you sent me – can you help me?
No problem – Just have a look at our page over here for a detailed picture tutorial.
2. Bar code South Africa – Where in South Africa can I get barcodes?
3. How do I get barcodes for my company?
4. Can you create case barcodes for me?
5. Bar Code Africa – Do you sell internationally?
6. I need bar-codes – how does the whole process work?
7. Can you help me register for barcodes?
8. How do barcodes work?
9. What does the process of bar-code registration entail?
10. Do I need a barcode?
11. Where can I get bar codes?
12. Can I trust the legitimacy of barcode resellers such as SA Barcodes?
13. When it comes to purchasing, what are the barcode legalities?
14. Can you provide me with a retail barcode for my product?
15. What kind of barcode do I need?
16. Do I need a UPC Barcode?
17. How many bar codes do I need?
18. How do I get a barcode for a music CD?
19. How do I buy barcodes for my products?
20. Can I apply for barcodes at SA Barcodes?
21. I’m in need of a barcode number for my product. How do I go about getting one?
22. Barcode TakeALot – will your barcodes be accepted by TAKEALOT.com?