Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the more frequent questions about barcodes in South Africa that we receive. If you have a question not dealt with in this section, please feel free to get in touch with us via our contact page and we will get back to you shortly.
1.What is a Barcode?
4. Will my Barcode work for any retail product?
5. Are there any stores who won’t accept my barcode?
Apart from that we are aware of three retailers in the US (Walmart, Amazon and Krogers) which specify that you have to be a personal member of the GS1 to sell your product with them. As a customer of SA Barcodes, you will be a member by proxy (i.e. through our suppliers) rather than a personal member of the GS1. Otherwise, it is unlikely that you will receive problems in this regard. To be 100% safe, however, we do require that you always check that all is in order with your barcode at your desired retailer before you print your full run of product labels.
With the above warnings in mind please note that we have clients across Southern Africa successfully using our barcodes at a wide variety of store including Fruit and Veg City, Massmart, Engen, Caltex, Spar, Pick n’ Pay and many others, and we will always endeavor to let you know should a retailer change or alter their barcode system for any reason.
6. Will my Bar Code work outside of South Africa?
7. Why are barcodes made up of so many lines?
8. Is a barcode purchased from SA Barcodes completely unique to me?
9. Will my barcode ever expire?
10. Are there any renewal Fees?
11. What is the difference between UPC-A and EAN barcodes and does SA Barcodes supply both?
12. Will my Bar Code be scannable?
13. Is there anything that I need to do after I receive the bar code from you?
14. Can I print my bar code in anything other than black and white?
15. Is there a refund/returns policy for SA Barcodes?
16. What dimensions should I use for my barcode?
17. Can I see what your barcodes look like?
18. I’m having trouble opening the barcode package you sent me – can you help me?
No problem – Just have a look at our page over here for a detailed picture tutorial.
2. Bar code South Africa – Where in South Africa can I get barcodes?
3. How do I get barcodes for my company?
4. Can you create case barcodes for me?
5. Bar Code Africa – Do you sell internationally?
6. I need bar-codes – how does the whole process work?
7. Can you help me register for barcodes?
8. How do barcodes work?
9. What does the process of bar-code registration entail?
10. Do I need a barcode?
11. Where can I get bar codes?
12. Can I trust the legitimacy of barcode resellers such as SA Barcodes?
13. When it comes to purchasing, what are the barcode legalities?
14. Can you provide me with a retail barcode for my product?
15. What kind of barcode do I need?
16. Do I need a UPC Barcode?
17. How many bar codes do I need?
18. How do I get a barcode for a music CD?
19. How do I buy barcodes for my products?
20. Can I apply for barcodes at SA Barcodes?
21. I’m in need of a barcode number for my product. How do I go about getting one?
22. Barcode TakeALot – will your barcodes be accepted by TAKEALOT.com?